Everyday Care For Beautiful Carpets
Did you know that dirt particles act like hundreds of little blades that cut carpet fibres? Walking across dirty carpets results in grinding dirt against the yarn and damaging the fabric. You`ve probably noticed that in high-traffic areas carpets appear to be duller and more unsightly. If you follow these maintenance tips our Fulham carpet cleaning specialists guarantee you that you will prolong the life of your carpet.
- Vacuum as often as you can – this is especially important for high-traffic and entrance areas. Soils attract more soils so if you take care of removing them by vacuuming you will reduce buildups.
- Check the bag/filter of your vacuum cleaner – if you use a dirty bag, you decrease the suction power of your appliance in half. If your vacuum cleaner is bagless, then make sure you wash or replace the filters about every other month.
- Choose the right speed to vacuum – many people rush and vacuum quickly but in reality, the most efficient cleaning is done at a slow speed. Make two slow passes over entrance areas – this will remove the embedded dirt much more effectively than five fast passes.
- Place walk-off mats where possible – this will keep the dirt outside. Without so much soiling, you will be able to keep your indoor environment cleaner and healthier and your carpet will serve you for longer.
- Professionally clean your carpet at least once a year – even if there are not stains and your carpet seems relatively clean, you don`t see the dust and filth hiding in the fibres. Your floor covering needs professional care every 12 months or even more often if you have a pet or a kid in the household.
Fantastic DIY Homemade Carpet Freshener
The recipe is simple yet effective. It will absorb unpleasant odours and give your carpet a fresh feel. You will need:
- 1 cup crushed dried herbs (lavender, rosemary, southernwood, etc)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- A few drops of your favourite essential oil (optional) – pine, lavender, tea tree, etc
Combine the ingredients and sprinkle over your carpet. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes and vacuum thoroughly. You can store the excess of the mixture in a glass jar.
What Should You Know Before Deep Cleaning Your Carpet On Your Own?
Many people decide to clean their rugs themselves rather than hiring an expert. You are highly recommended to deep clean your carpet so you are provided with a safe living environment. This is what you should do:
- First of all, check the warranty of your carpet. Some manufacturers require you to professionally clean it occasionally so the warranty is valid.
- If you decide to hire a cleaning equipment, make sure it is powerful enough. Your carpet must dry in no more than 12 hours as otherwise, you can damage it from excessive moisture.
- You should ensure that there are dehumidifiers or fans in the room. If you do not manage to dry your carpet in 24 hours, there is a risk of bacteria and mildew growth.
- The cleaning detergent you use should has a pH of 10 or less. Don`t leave any residues – it should be all rinsed once the procedure is over. Again, you can check the warranty card as sometimes there is mentioned what products to use.
This sounds like a huge hassle, don`t you think? Professional carpet cleaning will definitely save you time and efforts plus the immaculate results are guaranteed. Fulham carpet cleaners advise you to maintain your rug following our tips but when it is time for a more comprehensive procedure better contact us on 020 3670 9910.